Smokefreerockquest Conditions of Entry
- All contestants must be enrolled in and attend a school for at least 15 hours a week. If you leave school during the course of the competition, you become ineligible to continue. You can change schools during the competition. (School means secondary, area, intermediate, primary or correspondence school.)
- All contestants must be no older than 19 (nineteen) years of age on 9th May 2017. (You may be asked to supply proof of eligibility.)
- Smokefreerockquest is for unsigned bands and individuals only. You cannot enter if you have signed a recording or management contract, and cannot sign during the competition without the prior written approval of Rockquest Promotions Ltd.
- No student can enter in more than one Smokefreerockquest band OR more than one Solo-duo. (You can enter in a Band AND a Solo/duo if the Solo/duo is entered in the Online Solo/duo region.)
- Bands must compete in the region their school is closest to. Where a band represents multiple schools, it must compete in the region closest to the school the majority of members’ attend.
- Solo/duo entries must also compete in the region the school their band represents is closest to, except in the greater Auckland area, where all solo/duo entries must compete in the Auckland Solo/duo Region.
- Bands and Solo/duos will not be allowed to compete in an incorrect region.
- If you are entered in a band, and wish to enter in a Solo/duo also, the Solo/duo must be entered in the Online Solo/duo Region.
- Smokefree supports Smokefreerockquest and Smokefree Pacifica Beats to give emerging musicians the opportunity to play their sounds to crowds throughout the country. Because you are the essence of these events, we ask that you respect their smokefree status. By entering this competition, all entrants are making a declaration of their smokefree status and will be required to sign the following declaration at the Regional events. “As an entrant, I understand that for interviews, Regional Finals and National Finals, press conferences, and T.V. or radio appearances, it is a requirement for me to be smokefree. If I, or any of my group members, fail to comply with this declaration, it will result in the group’s immediate exclusion from all parts of this event.”
- The use or possession of alcohol, cigarettes or illegal drugs by any group member at any Smokefreerockquest event will result in the instant disqualification of their entire group.
- At Smokefreerockquest you are representing your school. It is important that you adhere to your school’s policies regarding behaviour in public. If in doubt, seek the guidance of your teachers.
- Any entrant defacing or destroying Smokefreerockquest property or property/venues used by Smokefreerockquest will be disqualified and held accountable for damages. This includes P.A. equipment, recording studios, regional final venues, accommodation venues as well as any place used for photo shoots or interviews e.g. radio stations.
- Smokefreerockquest does not condone censorship. Smokefreerockquest does support the NZ music industry and therefore urges entrants to consider the commercial potential of the material they write. While not wanting to put constraints on the creative process of songwriters we would like to point out that sexually explicit lyrics or lyrics that may offend may not have commercial potential and therefore may not suit this competition. Judges for this event are drawn from the NZ music industry. Entrants are urged to consider this point carefully.
- Band members cannot be changed or added after your first performance.
- All parts, vocal and instrumental, must be performed live. No pre-recorded or pre-programmed content is allowed.
- All performed songs must be original – ie: written by one or more members of the band.
- Band Performances at the Regional Finals should not exceed 7 minutes in duration – usually two songs. Solo/duo performances at Regional Finals should not exceed 4 minutes – one song only.
- Where there are 15 or more entries in a region, there will be a heats process where one song will be used to select the regional finalists. Where heats are held, the Solo/duo prizes for the region will be awarded at the heats . (In regions where there less than 25 entries, heats may be held online.)
- A song can only be performed in one category; either Band or Solo/duo, but not both.
- If your SFRQ entry has three (3) or more performers, you must enter the Band Category. If your SFRQ entry has only one (1) performer, you must enter the Solo/duo category. If your SFRQ entry has two performers, you must enter the Solo/duo category unless one of the performers plays drum kit, in which case you are to enter as a band.
- Judging decisions will be based on discussion, their industry experience and knowledge.
- The Judges’ decision will be final and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into.
Other Conditions & Requirements
- All students must have the signature of their parent or guardian on the entry form, giving consent to us to release contestant information, images and recordings to media and sponsors, to send promotional material from the event organisers and sponsors, and agreeing to all conditions of entry.
- The Top 30 acts may become part of the Smokefreerockquest TV Show. None of these contestants can sign a recording or management contract prior to 31 Dec 2017 without the prior written permission of Rockquest Promotions Ltd.
- The Top 30 are to allow one song to be included on a SFRQ 2017 Highlights compilation, which will be given away free in 2018.
- The national winners (Band and Solo/Duo categories) music videos will be hosted on the SFRQ website and social media pages.
- Entrants are not permitted to perform songs for the National Final selection round, or at the National Final, that are entered in, have been entered in, or will be entered in other music competitions in this calendar year.
- The National Finalists agree to Rockquest Promotions Ltd. (or appointed agent) acting as their exclusive agent in all matters regarding recording and management contracts until 1 May 2018. No recording or management contracts can be entered into by the National Finalists before this time, without the permission of SFRQ.
- The National Finalists agree that, if used as a guest band at a subsequent regional event, will do so without charge. (costs will be covered by SFRQ) The National Finalists agree to give SFRQ up to two free National Final guest performances in future National Finals.
- Contestants are required to gain approval from the organisers to use props, clothing or equipment bearing product branding of products other than those of our sponsors on stage. Approval will not be withheld unless the organisers believe the security of the event sponsorship is at risk. This does not apply to the normal name branding appearing on musical instruments.
- By virtue of entry the entrant agrees to hold Smokefreerockquest and its agents indemnified against any breach or infringement of copyright or rights held by any third party/parties, and the entrant undertakes to observe all such rights statutory or otherwise. By virtue of entry the entrant agrees to hold Smokefreerockquest and it‘s agents indemnified against any claim or liability for loss or accident resulting from any individual’s involvement in the event.
DOMINATE STYLE AWARD TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The Smokefree Rockquest & Dominate will select one band or duo at each of the regional Smokefree Rockquest finals events to win the Regional Dominate Style Award.
The Smokefree Rockquest & Dominate will select one band or duo from the Top30 Smokefree Rockquest finalists selected from the acts video submissions to win the Nationals Dominate Style Award.
In both cases the act will be judged on overall style across fashion, moves, sounds and performance.
1. The Regional Winner will be selected, advised and confirmed at each regional event
2. The National Winner will be selected from the Top30 Smokefreess Rockquest finalists video submissions.
3. The National Winner will be advised by the 5th September 2016 via email, phone (voice or text), mail or in person.
4. If the Winner cannot accept the prize, the prize will be re-drawn by the Judge.
5. The Judge is appointed by Smokefree Rockquest.
6. The regional prize consists of product and merchandise to the value of $140
7. The national prize consists of a Dominate Style Make Over for the Smokefree Rockquest finals event on 24th September 2016. This includes:
– Hair styling
– Make up artist
– New outfit (to be purchased by winner by a $500 Westfield voucher) – Webisode feature
8. If participants are under the age of 18, they must have permission from their parent or guardian to participate in all elements of the prize.
‘Disqualified Participants’ are all Mix Limited and Smokefree Rockquest employees, all employees of participating sponsors or promoters and/or advertising agencies and their Immediate Families;
‘Immediate Families’ include spouses, Grandparents, Parents, Children, and Grandchildren whether by marriage, past marriages, remarriage, adoption, co-habitation or other family extension.
9. Entry into the Promotion is deemed to be acceptance of the Rules and confirmation that the entrant has the necessary authority to enter the Promotion.
10. The Promotion is open to New Zealand Residents only. Disqualified Participants may not enter in the Promotion.
11. Dominate and Smokefree Rockquest reserves the right to exclude any person from participating in the Promotion on reasonable grounds.
12. Dominate and Smokefree Rockquest reserves the right to refuse to award any prize to an entrant who they decides (in its sole discretion) has violated the Rules, gained unfair advantage in participating in the Promotion or won using fraudulent means.
13. By participating, entrants grant Dominate and Smokefree Rockquest exclusive permission to use their names, characters, photographs, videos, voices and likeness in connection with the Promotion and for future promotion and marketing purposes and waive any claims to royalty, right or remuneration for such use.
14. All entrant personal details must be valid and up to date and will be held by Dominate and Smokefree Rockquest and may be used for the purpose of the Promotion and for future promotion and marketing purposes.
15. Personal information provided at the time of entry is presumed to be true and, in the case of text or email notification – active, through to and beyond the date of the Promotion’s completion.
Winning the Prize
16. Only the duo/ band who originally entered the Promotion can be awarded the prize (‘the Winner’).
17. The Winner will be determined in the manner set out in the PRIZE section – if not specified then as determined by the Promoter who shall for this purpose be deemed the Judge.
18. The act will be judged on overall style across fashion, moves, sounds and performance. The Judge’s determination of the Winner will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
19. The Regional Winner will be notified in person at the Regional Finals Event. The National Winner will be notified by email, phone (voice or text), mail or in person and must be available for the preparation of all publicity that may be required by Dominate or Smokefree Rockquest. Where attempts to contact the Winner fail (eg when the Winner cannot be contacted by phone after three attempts or mail sent is returned) the Judge will select another winner. If, after successful notification, the prize is not collected within two months of being announced it will be regarded as forfeit. (Note: 3 attempts to contact the Winner will include individual calls to any numbers provided at the time of entry.
20. The prize is not redeemable for cash or transferable. No other family members, friends, office associates or any other person will be able to participate on the Winner’s behalf. In the event thatthe prize specified in the Competition becomes unavailable for any reason the Promoter may substitute a prize of like or equal value.
21. Where the Winner is required to claim the prize in person, they must provide proper identification (eg driver’s licence, passport, birth certificate). If the Winner is under the age of 18 years their parent or legal guardian must accompany the Winner or give their prior written consent to the award of the prize.
22. The Winner takes the prize entirely at his/her own risk and indemnifies Dominate in respect of any claim for any accident, injury, property damage or loss of life that may occur in connection with the prize. The Winner is responsible for all insurance, tax or other costs that may be associated with the prize.
23. Unless explicitly stated in the Specific Rules, the Winner will be responsible for expenses including, but not limited to, spending money, meals, drinks, transport, laundry charges, activities, incidentals, taxes, gratuities, services charges, passports, visas, travel insurance and all other ancillary costs associated with redeeming the Prize.
24. Dominate reserves the right to amend, vary, extend or discontinue a Promotion at any stage, for any reason.
25. Dominate takes no responsibility for any inability to enter, complete, continue or conclude the Promotion due to equipment or technical malfunction, Acts of God or otherwise.
26. To the fullest extent permitted by law Dominate will not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever (including but not limited to direct or consequential loss) or for personal injury as a result of Promotion entry or winning the prize.
27. Where the prize is to be supplied by an entity outside Dominates control and that entity fails, for whatever reason, to supply the prize, Dominate has no responsibility for the provision of the prize and is not obliged to provide an alternative prize or to take legal action to require the prize supplier to provide the prize.
28. Participation in the Promotion is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions. 29. If the Winner does not accept these Terms and Conditions the prize will be forfeited.